Enterprises moving core apps to the cloud
More businesses are looking to virtualize a variety of applications for reduced spending, increased uptime and more robust security. By leveraging support from dba services in migrating data to the cloud, firms can ensure faster, easier app deployment going forward.
An infographic from The Aberdeen Group and CenturyLink revealed that 55 percent of enterprise apps have already been moved to the cloud, 16 percent are in the process of virtualization and a total of 71 percent will be in the cloud when projects end. An overwhelming 70 percent of test and development apps have been virtualized, as well as 66 percent of web apps, 49 of mission critical, 56 percent of disaster recovery (DR) and 39 percent of database services. Aberdeen research found that best-in-class firms experienced only 0.7 hours of downtime and decreased spending by 21.2 percent as a result of virtualization. Meanwhile, cloud laggards suffered 9.1 hours of downtime and increased IT spending by 4 percent.
A successful transition
One company that has leveraged these benefits first-hand is Micro Ink, Computerworld reported. According to the source, by moving core applications from a physical infrastructure to the cloud, the business has rapidly grown to become a major competitor. Head of IT for Micro Ink, Mayank Desai, decided to move these apps to a virtualized environment after a virus corrupted the company's SAP on 28 Intel-based servers in 2009, causing three days of downtime. Computerworld revealed that Desai aimed to eliminate these interruptions and reduce recovery time to a maximum of four hours.
A major benefit to the transition is that DR automated the process, meaning that Micro Ink can now failover core apps and systems from its datacenter to a near DR site. Now, in the event of a catastrophe, the business can recover with zero data loss from its SAP and Microsoft Exchange Server systems. Virtualization also allowed Micro Ink to perform testing without disrupting users or production.
"After we had finished configuring our apps on the virtual infrastructure, we found that we had 40 percent spare resources," Desai said, according to Computerworld. "This gives us room to expand and mitigate recurring IT expenses."
By storing a range of business applications on a more resilient virtualized infrastructure, firms can ensure more rapid recovery from disaster while realizing more effective use of IT resources.
RDX offers a full suite of cloud migration and administrative services that can be tailored to meet any customer's needs. To learn more our full suite of cloud migration and support services, please visit our Cloud DBA Service page or contact us.